Sponsored

Click here for more!Click here for more.click here for more!click here for more!click here for more!click here for more!click here for more!click here for more!Click here for more.Click here for more.Click here for more!Click here for more.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Y! Alert: Yahoo! Answers: Politics & Government

Yahoo! Alerts
My Alerts

The latest from Yahoo! Answers: Politics & Government


Open Question: When will The EU stop trying to change our lives in Britain ? Top
Imperial Measure dated back Centuries ! An Inch can be measured by a thumb , Horses are measured in Hands which is four inches , Fabric was measured By a Yard from the nose to the end of the middle finger , A Foot was the length of a mans foot , A yard was also the length of a stride . 1,760 yards is one mile or 8 furlongs , Horse Racing tracks were measured in furlongs . Try showing that in metric measure ! Potatoes were weighed in Stones , one ounce was the weight of tobacco sold , sixteen ounces was one pound , fourteen ounces were in one stone , people were measured in Stones , A baker's dozen was thirteen , eggs are sold by the half dozen , flower's were sold by the bunch , which was one handful . We used to have 240 pennies in a Pound but now we only have 100 , there was 4 farthings in a penny , 2 half pennies in a penny , 3 pennies in a threepence , 6 pennies in a tanner , 2 sixpences in a shilling , 2 shillings in a florin , 2 shillings and a sixpence in a Half-Crown , 10 shillings in a ten bob note , 8 half-crowns in a pound . In the 1960's I could buy 10 Park Drive Cigarettes , a box of swan vesta's , A pint of Red Barrel , and my bus fair for a 5 mile journey home and have change out of a half-crown . A Mars bar was 3d my wage for a 40 hr week was £17 , I was a Baker . Petrol was 4s 6d a gallon . My First Lambretta cost £100 Brand New ! Now I don't Smoke or Drink , it's too expensive ! Petrol is over 115.9p per Ltr ., it costs over £50 to fill my car up .
 
Open Question: Question regarding arrest warrant in Toronto Canada? Top
If an arrest warrant is issued for you (in Toronto, CANADA), how does the police perform this act? Are they allowed to break into your house if you don't answer (sleeping)? Do they allow you to dress up or they can arrest you with whatever your wearing (pyjamas)?
 
Open Question: Can I apply for british sitizenship while i just got my indefinite stay? Top
I've been living in the UK since 2001. I just got indefinite leave to remain can I apply for british sitizenship straight away? or do I have to wait a year after that? thanks
 
Open Question: In Canada if you stabbed someone and they didnt die what would you be charged with? Top
FYI, I have absolutely no intention of stabbing someone, i am helping my sister finish up a final project for school.
 
Open Question: Can the traffic police give you a fine and 3 points to your licence without stopping you? Top
Tonight I was pulling out of MacDonalds and may have ragged 1st gear a bit too much and gone up pto 35mph for like a sec but then slowed down as I was coming to a junction. Anyway a second or 2 later a traffic officer starting following me for about 600yards all the way to my entrance way to my flats but didn't pull me over. When he followed me I was doing 30mph in a 30 area so I wasnt speeding. He had a chance to tlk to me while I was waiting for my garage door to open but didnt. I am just in fear that I will get fined and 3 points for doing nothing wrong but get that 14 day thingy. I am really paranoid! Im just hoping he did a vehicle check coz I have a little sporty ford fiesta and it was like 10pm at night and so thought I was a boy racer/a stolen car. Please help me not worry it may have been second gear instead of 1st
 
Open Question: Good evening Brit, When y'all going to man up an say y'all were wrong? Top
When Mr Reagan walked away in Iceland and told the old USSR ''no deal''y'all called him a warmonger wore reagan masks and burned the American flag . When Mr Reagan pressed y'all to install our missiles in your country to counter the missiles the USSR already had in the east y'all called him ''that stupid know nothing shoot from the hip American cowboy'' who was going to start WW 3. When Mr Reagan started to build up our military y'all mocked him and said ''you can't shoot down a missile with a missile it's crazy it's star wars. We are between you and them you can't defeat them you must co-exist with them.'' We know and you know but well never admit it that Mr Reagan won the cold war. It is for your own good man up and say y'all were wrong are you with me on this? Hobbs you old cowboy How the hell are you cowboy? Peter so I take it y'all know about the Americans stationed in your country to service and protect the missiles y'all say are yours
 
Open Question: british song that is played when a fallen british soldier leaves a warzone? Top
 
Open Question: Prince Charles defends ordinary people against property developers, does that mean .........? Top
........if he becomes king he will order the return of some of the lands, held by nobles, to the people and help get rid of some of the congestion which has been rife for decades in certain areas? I think it would also be a good idea to let the 'commoners' know exactly what he, as a king, can do and what he can't (I think it would also be beneficial for him to know)
 
Open Question: Can you be arrested for breaking wind while talking to a police officer? Top
****** UK only please - Why do people often assume it's 'America'?
 
Open Question: changing visa from student dependant to student? Top
my dad is doing PhD in Scotland. Me and my mum came with him because we are his family, at that time I was at high school. then I started university but my dad is finishing his PhD soon and going back home but I want to stay in the UK to finish the other three years left to get a degree. could u help me please by telling me how can I renew my visa, i.e change it from student dependant to student. and what the requirements and documents that I should have to do that.
 
Open Question: How much is it to move to America from England at 18? Top
I'm 16 at the moment, and my dream has always been to move to america when i'm 18. I was wondering how to go about that? And roughly how much would it cost me? I need to know what options i have now so i can have a big think about it all...
 
Open Question: Nose art in todays world? Top
Is nose art aloud in any of the branches of military anymore or has it been completely disbanded? If not who is permitted (specific branch) to do it and on what type of aircraft (helicopters, fixed wing)? Are their special procedures as to how to request nose art for you aircraft? It obviously has to be clean due to political correctness anymore so im just curious if you are even aloud to paint at all.
 
Open Question: if someone on the sexual offenders register want access can they have to the own children? Top
my friend going through a bit of a problem he boyfriend on the sexual offenders register and she got 2 children , one from a previous relationship n one to him . the c=social services have just told her she got to finissh with him or lose both children . just wondering if they can do this dont know the full details of what he got convicted of but do know he had to sign the sex offenders register for 5 years. one minute the socail services are saying supervised access to kids next minute they told her to finish. all this and the baby only 2 months old so she in a bit of a state
 
Open Question: i eat a ton of hemp seeds. will this affect a urine test? Top
i eat about 2 pounds of hemp seed per month. (i live cheap) will this affect a urine or hair test? if so should i tell them that i eat hemp seeds? i dont know how it works i read that hemp seeds have only a tiny bit of thc.
 
Open Question: What is the law on illegally downloaded music/movies/tv series? Top
Please be specific...I would like to know if there is a prison sentence, charge, warnings, penalties of any sorts, everything. Thanks a lot! I appreciate all your suggestions and answers, but I'd really prefer someone who is definate.
 
Open Question: my bag was snatched from my arm while on holidays with all my money and phone and camera can i claim it back? Top
i am now on holidays:( i had just got to my resort and and had taken out 1000 euro from the bank to cover costs of my holiday as i am nervous about takin money on planes and dat.. anyway.. i was coming back to my apart and my bag was snatched from my hands i had no chance of catchin this guy! i reported it to the police.. but can i claim it off my travel insurance?? my money phone and camera was in my bag..
 
Open Question: should the world introduce a baby tax? Top
there are too many people plundering this planet. instead of paying mums to have kids should they pay for the priviledge of overpopulating the planet? ok . my question could be contsrued as extreme. but surely we could at least stop paying people. ie single mums in uk to have kids. lets stop doing that for a start. and make dads pay for the kids. instead of the taxpayer being dad.
 
Open Question: should i make a complaint about this person she had me so scared!!!? Top
i think i got ringworm of a kitten myself and my boyfriend have had for 4 weeks. a week after i got her i knew she had ring worm and brought her to the vets for treatment and washed everything in the house with bleach and washed my hands after holding her every-time. we didn't think we would get ring worm cause its been so long (4 weeks) and we haven't seen any signs on it on ourselves. i am so scared though cause i notice a tiny patch on my forearm this afternoon and i have been visiting a friends yesterday that had brought her new born baby home that day. i washed my hands before holding the baby and i was wearing a long sleeved top so the area where the patch was never touched her and i only had her for 1 minute. i went to the chemist and told her this and she said i definitely have giving the baby ringworm and if i had been near the baby i could passed it her she got quite cross and said ring worm kills babies!!! i was so scared!!!!!!!!!! i rang my friend straight away and told her she thought it was hilarious. her boyfriend works with horses all the time and get ringworm so she wasn't worried but i rang my doctor anyway and he told me the chemist was completely wrong ring worm cant kill babies and if i have my hands washed and there was no skin contact then the baby will not catch it. i am really cross now i have never felt such fear i thought i almost killed a new born baby!! you would be shocked to if a professional (chemist) told you you could have given a new born a fatal fungal infection!!! should i complain the chemist actually owns the shop and is know for being an alcoholic my friend thinks she was drunk when she said it to me surely she shouldn't be giving out prescription if she is drunk or hung over or making statements making people think they have in-dangered a babies life!
 
Open Question: Why is communism seen as bad, it makes sence? Top
why woul it be so bad thta America goes to war over it to me it all makes sence every1 is equal wich shud satisfie everybody, so why is it seen as so bad ? wow lol u guys sure hate my spelling, i know i shud right the question more specificly but its just a simple question evenknow its not a simple answer ..atleast i know more on communism now =[) .. i was told/thought it was a perfect society ran by the people for the people but obviously not
 
Open Question: My passport has expired, what do I do now? Top
Im supposed to be travelling to see my fiance in the summer holidays and today I realised my passport was expired! My dad says I can just go to the post office and get it stamped but my sister brought me this form from the post office saying I'd need to fill that out to get a new one. Which is it? And how long does the process take?
 
Open Question: what happen if a 21 year sold guy have sex with a 19 years old girl, in a country where...? Top
in a country where "Age of Majority" is 21 years old (no 18)? is there risk with the law?
 
Open Question: Have you ever heard of mode 4 immigration? Top
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewMegpqBhRk So much for Mr Cameron's cap then. Yep, tell the EU we'll be deciding who enters and leaves our country, and if they don't like it, tough.
 
Open Question: In a shared house the person responsible for the phone has had police calling and ringing asking him to make a? Top
statement, this went on for about 6 months but he left the house and moved away because every time the police came he wasnt here and wasnt here when they rang. They advised one house mate that it was in his best interests to go and have taped interview, he didnt and now 11 months later still nothing has happened, does this mean its been dropped? What is a bench warrant? Also the last contact was October 2009 and he moved back in during January, it sort of doesnt make sense. Its v kind of you all to answer but UK only please, he was asked to give a taped interview of how many people over a period of time had access to the house phone. JL Its to do with harassment via telephone and as he is the one who pays the bill then he is the one they want to speak to. He has been back in the house since January and no visits or calls or anything
 
Open Question: If America is so hated and despised around the world, why do millions of foreigners want to come to the U.S.? Top
 
Open Question: in a country where "Age of majority" is 21 years... what can happen if....? Top
a 21 years old guy have sex with a 19 years old girl
 
Open Question: Can the father of my kids stop paying child support? Top
I live in spain, me and my husband are going through the divorce, we have agreed on maintenance etc. I spoked to him today, and he said that he was told if he has the kids more than 1 week he does not have to pay me any maintenance as it will cost miles to much to support the kids that week. Even though i have them 24 hours per day all on my own supporting them. He is such a low life who does not care one bit about giving the kids a good life. Can he do this? if not, and he doesnt pay me on time i know i have to report him, but i cant stop him seeing the kids can i? what will happen if he stops paying me? thanks we are agreeing to I have Full 100% custody of the kids and he has parental rights. But he only wants to see the kids 1 weekend per month thats it.... His commitments are his girlfriend.
 
Open Question: How free is free speech in the US of A? Top
 
Open Question: Is the globe ruled by hidden figures? Top
Is there more to this than meets the eye? Are all major countries ruled by the same body? Is it all just a show? Are we kept totally in the dark and spoon fed stories, lies and commands? I am not a paranoid delusionsalist, but am trying to gauge people's thoughts on the idea that governments are not nearly as simple as they appear. Dismissing this as unsubstantiated is as easy as dismissing the idea that governments are sound honest, transparent organisations. RE: Mental illness is not an issue here. Go and "label" someone else. There is a "Health" question category if you really want to help people who think they may be a monarch.
 
Open Question: Am i able to get a non molestation order on my ex? Top
I have been in an abusive relationship for the past 2 and a half years we are now split and live in separate accommodation. There is no point in pressing charges on my ex for abuse as my partner could just say i did the same back...which i didn't. But it would a word against word case. I want to be able to do something to make myself feel safe until our marriage is over in 5-8 months. I went to see my solicitor who said that i can not apply for a non molestation order/injunction as i am in no immediate danger as we live apart. I have a lot of my partners stuff that i have to sort out and my solicitor is writing to my partner to sort days and times to collect but it will take a few trips and until my ex gets all stuff back i am afraid that it will cause some type of harassment. My solicitor said that as i do not have any evidence of battering there is nothing i can do unless it happens again. I don't want to have to be hurt again in order for the courts to recognise there is a matter that needs to be addressed. Is there anything else that i can apply for? Is this wrong? I want something to be done as A)I want to be safe and B)I don't want my ex to get away with all the abuse scott free.
 
Open Question: I need answers now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please help!!!!? Top
so i live in NEW JERSEY and im taking my daughters father to child support. (whenever i get a court date) Anyways he says that he is gonna go in there and tell the judge im an exotic dancer (yes i am and dnt apoligize for it) so.......... my question is will the judge see me as an unfit mother (I AM NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!) and will i still get money. b/s he only wants to pay 2oo a month and thats not shit!!!! wtf am i supposed to do with that? my rent is 12oo.......in addition to all the other bills, diapers, wipes, milk, babysitting, etc...... How will it go? Anseers plssssssssssss ok John Milton, fuck off i know how to spell was just typing really fast........ that has NOTHIN AT ALL to do with my question..... Also i dont ahve any paystubs so how will they determine how much i make?
 
Open Question: Why do blacks commit more crime? Top
The data provide a breakdown of the ethnicity of the 18,091 men and boys who police took action against for a range of violent and sexual offences in London in 2009-10. They show that among those proceeded against for street crimes, 54 per cent were black; for robbery, 59 per cent; and for gun crimes, 67 per cent. Street crimes include muggings, assault with intent to rob and snatching property. Just over 12 per cent of London's 7.5 million population is black, including those of mixed black and white parentage, while 69 per cent is white, according to the Office for National Statistics. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/7856787/Violent-inner-city-crime-the-figures-and-a-question-of-race.html Is it because they are poor, because the police and courts are racist, or is there some other reason? Whatever the reason, wouldn't less 3rd world immigration have made London a safer place? Are the Sunday Telegraph and the Metropolitan Police racist too, or is it all my fault for daring to mention it? Mr. Smartypants, in your little scenario of left Vs right handed people, why are the left handers paid less? If it's because they are generally less well educated, have fewer skills, or a bad attitude, who's fault is that? http://www.met.police.uk/caught_on_camera/index.htm Elizabeth, according to these figures from 2004, minority ethnic groups carried out 77,000 violent racial attacks against whites, but only 49,000 BMEs were victims of such attacks. Seeing as the ratio of whites to non-whites was 9:1 at the time, this would suggest that non-whites are (per capita) over 14 times more likely to commit a violent racist attack against a white person than vice versa. What would you say if someone suggested that was a valid reason for whites to be racist? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6128466.stm
 
Resolved Question: I have a BNP Question? Top
I am slowly starting to support Nick Griffin and the BNP more and more. Would you consider this a good thing and why? or if you consider it to be a bad thing why is it bad? haha yeah they do need their own version of the BNP
 
Resolved Question: How can we stop hate crimes against Catholics or at least get them recognised as such? Top
Every weekend theres another report of a suspected sectarian attack against a Catholic, usually in Derry or north Antrim. Last year one fella was killed and another seriously injured in Coleraine, loyalists ran into the estate and grabbed anybody that was there. It took the PSNI 3 weeks to accept it was a sectarian attack based on religious hatred, but it still wasn't classed as a hate crime. How can we stop this? Obviously we can't rewrite history and right all wrongs but how can the authorities be made to realize somebody being given a kicking because of their religion is a hate crime and not a suspected sectarian attack on a Catholic? I'm just reminded of Thomas Devlin and the Quinn Boys, Thomas Devlin was a 15 year old child stabbed 9 times by two loyalists, the Quinn Boys were 3 kids burnt to death in Ballymena after loyalists threw petrol bombs through their windows. Huckle: yeah i see your point, loyalists were attacking Catholics because they were abused by Catholic Priests, and how does that work seeing how we don't live near them or even go to the same schools? i know the north of Ireland is too complicated for most people, but its pretty basic in its set up. Ladymoon, the catholics started blowing up UK cities? do you have the means to prove that? if Ireland is 80 percent Catholic i think you would find Britain would be nothing but rubble if every Irish Catholic started attacking britain. Ladymoon, provisonal IRA are ordinary Catholics too, define an ordinary Catholic. i can't and i'm baptised and confirmed Roman Catholic, i'll translate that for our oolstha scotch speakers "papist scum"
 
Open Question: How are the Coalition going to take even more people off ESA/Incapacity Benefit? Top
For those who don't know, Incapacity Benefit no longer exists for new claimants and hasn't done since October 2009. They now need to claim Employment Support Allowance, which is a whole new ball game. I worked for two years in this field and so know a little bit about it. When you first apply for ESA, you need to submit a medical certificate from your GP, as well as fill in a very detailed questionnaire about your illness/symptoms. You will be awarded a basic rate of JSA (£60 per week or thereabouts) for the first few weeks, upon which you will be called to an assessment with a doctor who works for the DWP (currently contracted to a company named Atos Origin). The Doctor will assess your SYMPTOMS (ie not to decide whether you are actually ill or not) and what - if any - impact they would have on your ability to work. You are awarded points for every aspect of your condition/symptoms which limits your ability to work. At this point around 40% of applicants are told that they have no accrued enough "points" to claim ESA and their claim stops, ie they get no more money. They have to claim JSA and look for work like any other unemployed person. The remainder, whose symptoms are more severe, will either be placed into the "Work Related Activity Group" which means that they receive a lower amount of ESA, but at the same time are expected to look for work which the DWP doctor feels they COULD do (ie bad back = you can't do manual work but could do office work) with the help of a personal advisor at the Jobcentre. The most severely affected will be placed in the Support Group. Only around 9% of claimants are placed in the "Support Group" which means they get a higher rate of ESA and are not expected to look for work. These are usually people with the most severe disabilities. I often see questions on here talking about how the new Government are going to tackle the "scroungers" with pretend "bad backs/depression" etc - but having explained that the system already works this way - with only a very few people allowed to claim higher rate ESA without looking for work, how exactly are they planning to cut this down even further? Its pretty impossible to blag your way onto ESA with a pretend "bad back" or depression, believe me!!! The only way I can see they could do this is to stop Incapacity Benefit completely and put EVERYONE on ESA. Right now, those who've been claiming for a while will still be on Incapacity Benefit, with the old rules, which were slightly more lax. Putting everyone on ESA and making them all subject to the same assessments would cut down the number of claimants. But as for ESA it honestly couldn't be tightened up anymore than it has been. There are already thousands of people struggling with quite severe and debilitating conditions who've been declared "fit for work" by the DWP (on the advice of a doctor who saw them for 20 mins and sometimes has a limited level of English or misunderstood the things they said. Migrant worker doctors are heavily relied on) What do you think? Hal - I remember one lady who was unable to leave her house because of *severe incontinence* (bowel and blader) who'd still been called to an assessment, assessed as "fit for work" and expected to travel to Work Focussed Interviews! She stopped her claim as well as she could not do the travelling the DWP wouldn't listen to her, her GP and her Consultant. If thats the kind of so called "work shy scrounger" the government want to target, they're doing a good job . . .:(
 

CREATE MORE ALERTS:

Auctions - Find out when new auctions are posted

Horoscopes - Receive your daily horoscope

Music - Get the newest Album Releases, Playlists and more

News - Only the news you want, delivered!

Stocks - Stay connected to the market with price quotes and more

Weather - Get today's weather conditions




You received this email because you subscribed to Yahoo! Alerts. Use this link to unsubscribe from this alert. To change your communications preferences for other Yahoo! business lines, please visit your Marketing Preferences. To learn more about Yahoo!'s use of personal information, including the use of web beacons in HTML-based email, please read our Privacy Policy. Yahoo! is located at 701 First Avenue, Sunnyvale, CA 94089.

Ads

click here for more!Click here for more!Click here for more.click here for more!click here for more!click here for more!click here for more!click here for more!click here for more!Click here for more.Click here for more.Click here for more!Click here for more.click here for more!Click here for more!Click here for more.click here for more!click here for more!click here for more!click here for more!click here for more!click here for more!Click here for more.Click here for more.Click here for more!Click here for more.